Nick Nurse discusses what he likes about Sixers forward KJ Martin

Latest breaking news on the Philadelphia 76ers
76ers Since 74

Nick Nurse discusses what he likes about Sixers forward KJ Martin

PHILADELPHIA — The Philadelphia 76ers were short-handed on Wednesday night when they took on the Minnesota Timberwolves at home. They were missing Nic Batum (hamstring) and Robert Covington (illness) from the start. The Sixers then lost De’Anthony Melton at halftime due to a thigh contusion. The absences forced coach Nick Nurse to make a decision regarding his bench unit. Late in the third quarter, Nurse turned to little-used KJ Martin. The fourth-year pro gave the Sixers a boost with his physical play and athleticism, which can sometimes make a difference for this group. “We were just kind of at a position where we were needing what we thought was an athletic, strong, physical guy to take some minutes on (Anthony) Edwards, right?” Nurse explained after the win. “We finally found a good matchup for (Karl-Anthony) Towns which was Marcus (Morris), right? He did a good job on him and then we’re just trying to buy minutes for those guys to get a little breather here and there and, yeah, he did a good job.” Martin only played seven minutes, but he was a plus-12 in those minutes and had three points. The Sixers needed his physicality. “Just go in and play,” Martin said of his mindset. “It’s my fourth year now. I played three years before this. I was a starter last season, you know what I’m saying? How I approach starting a basketball game or coming off the bench or any situation is how I approach it also just doing what I can to help the team. Understanding what guys are on the floor with me. Helping them play to their strengths and me also playing off of them.” Martin started 49 games for the Houston Rockets in the 2022-23 season while playing in all 82 games. This isn’t anything new to him. He is going to enter the game and compete and use his abilities to make a positive impact on the floor. The Sixers needed him to give them a boost and he did so. “He competes,” Nurse added of Martin. “He competes and he can move and he’s physical, and he’s a little dangerous around the rim at the other end, too. He can finish and do some things down there.” Joel Embiid singles out Tyrese Maxey after Sixers beat TimberwolvesMultiple Sixers give thoughts on Joel Embiid dropping 51 vs. TimberwolvesJoel Embiid explains how he dropped 51 points after Sixers beat Wolves
Email

Sign up Like this article? Sign up for the Sixers Wire email newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox every morning An error has occured Please re-enter your email address. Thanks for signing up! You'll now receive the top Sixers Wire stories each day directly in your inbox.

Source: https://sixerswire.usatoday.com/2023/12 ... kj-martin/
76ers Gear On Sale - Save up to 70%
76ers Game Tickets - Lowest Prices, No fees
Licensed 76ers Memorabilia on Sale
Over 160 Sports Forums - NFL, NBA, MLB, College Football