Tyrese Maxey still looking for perfect balance of when to score for Sixers

Latest breaking news on the Philadelphia 76ers
76ers Since 74

Tyrese Maxey still looking for perfect balance of when to score for Sixers

PHILADELPHIA–When one looks at the body of work Philadelphia 76ers star Tyrese Maxey has put together, one will be impressed. The fourth-year guard out of Kentucky has been fantastic averaging 25.8 points, 6.7 assists, and 4.0 rebounds while shooting 46% from the floor and 39.9% from deep. He’s doing all that while taking over the point guard spot for a contending team following the James Harden saga and he hasn’t blinked at the challenge. Maxey has been terrific for Philadelphia. With that being said, he is still looking for the perfect balance of scoring and playmaking from the leading man spot on offense. A big example was in Monday’s loss to the Chicago Bulls when he didn’t get going until the fourth quarter when he scored 15 of his 29 points. “I just started being really more aggressive, especially in the beginning of the fourth,” said Maxey. “It was kind of like how I always do. It’s kind of the same. Started off trying to get guys involved, trying to get my teammates going, and then try to be more aggressive in that second stint that I come in, but Joel (Embiid) was just on me about shooting the 3.” When Maxey is aggressive, the Sixers are a different team. Yes, he has to get guys involved as that’s the job of a point guard, but Embiid, coach Nick Nurse, and others are telling him to take more shots and that’s where finding that balance has to come into play. “There were a couple of times where they were in a drop and he (Embiid) was like ‘You have to shoot it, you have to take them, and you have to take more of them’,” Maxey added. “Him and coach Nurse were on me about that, so I did that.” On the flip side, Maxey also has to make sure others get their shots. Tobias Harris, Nic Batum, and De’Anthony Melton combined to take only 12 shots in the loss to the Bulls. Again, that is where the balance of being aggressive and letting others get going is going to play a factor. “It does vary sometimes,” Maxey finished. “It’s different some nights, different lineups, different situations, different schemes and coverages they were doing, but you’re right. We have to try to get some other guys involved. Tobias has to get more involved. We’re going to need him down the stretch. Him, Melt, everybody else as well.” Maxey and the Sixers will move on to face the Minnesota Timberwolves on Wednesday. Bulls' Andre Drummond impressed with rising Sixers star Tyrese MaxeyNBA Twitter reacts to Joel Embiid, Sixers falling to undermanned BullsNick Nurse goes into detail of why Sixers fell to Bulls at home Email Sign up Like this article? Sign up for the Sixers Wire email newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox every morning An error has occured Please re-enter your email address. Thanks for signing up! You'll now receive the top Sixers Wire stories each day directly in your inbox.

Source: https://sixerswire.usatoday.com/2023/12 ... or-sixers/
76ers Gear On Sale - Save up to 70%
76ers Game Tickets - Lowest Prices, No fees
Licensed 76ers Memorabilia on Sale
Over 160 Sports Forums - NFL, NBA, MLB, College Football