Dodgers GM Reveals Reasoning for Mookie Betts Being a Full-Time Second Baseman

Los Angeles Dodgers Discussion Forum
RedAlice

Dodgers GM Reveals Reasoning for Mookie Betts Being a Full-Time Second Baseman

Image The Los Angeles Dodgers infield will look slightly different from day to day. As we all know, Freddie Freeman is at first base, along with third baseman Max Muncy and young shortstop Gavin Lux. However, the Boys in Blue will have a new everyday second baseman, right fielder, and gold glove winner Mookie Betts. The silver slugger from right field will take his talents to the four spot on the diamond. It may come as a surprise for those unfamiliar with Betts’s game, but the infield is where he excelled before turning pro. Many within the Dodgers organization believe it will benefit the team and Betts in the long run, including general manager Brandon Gomes. Gomes appeared on the New York Post Sports show and revealed that he loves the team with Betts at second base. “So getting him at second full time, he really enjoys it, he was outstanding during his time there. Being able to have J-Hey in right field, there’s not too many times you can not lose much or any in a position where you’re moving Mookie off of, and Jason was fantastic in right. So I think the overall construction of the team with Mookie at second has been really solid. And having him there full time I think will be easier on his body which will just allow him to play more and feel better and as things play out over the years, I think it’ll be a benefit because I do think he’s gonna be elite defensively there as well.” per Brandon Gomes via New York Post Sports According to baseball reference, Betts’ has played six seasons in second base, playing in 100 games and starting in 87. In those games, he’s collected 127 putouts, 202 assists, only five errors, 50 double plays turned and a fielding percentage of 98.5 in 713 innings. Those innings and stats will rack up for the seven-time All-Star. In his limited time at second base as a member of the Dodgers, he’s looked great. There has been nothing to doubt that he will be even better this upcoming season. The pieces are in place, and the former MVP will be ready to showcase his infield talent to the baseball world. Photo Credit: Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports Have you subscribed to our YouTube channel? Subscribe and hit that notification bell to stay up to date on all the latest Dodgers news, rumors, interviews, livestreams, and more! GIVEAWAY ALERT: We are closing in on 80,000 subscribers on our YouTube channel & will be giving away a brand-new Shohei Ohtani Dodgers jersey when we hit that number! Follow the steps below to enter the giveaway?

1. Subscribe to our channel (current subscribers have completed… pic.twitter.com/euy3xcGqla— Dodgers Nation (@DodgersNation) January 8, 2024

Source: https://dodgersnation.com/dodgers-gm-re ... 024/01/20/
  • Information